The new iPhone 15 Pro models come equipped with an Action button – Apple’s biggest surprise of the September 2023 iPhone launch. On the whole, it replaced the more conventional, yet useful alert slider, still present on non-pro iPhone models. This single Action button now allows you to customize more aspects of your device.
If you already own an iPhone and have had enough of adjusting the alert slider up and down, now you get to use a revolutionary feature. Let’s talk about the so-called Action button on the iPhone 15 Pro and Max and how it works!
What is Action Button on iPhone 15 Pro Models?
Apple introduced four iPhone models in the iPhone 15 lineup. iPhone 15, 15 Plus, 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max. While the normal iPhone 15 models are equipped with yesteryear’s iconic Dynamic Island, Pro models received the Action button in terms of upgrade. But all in all, what’s this Action button all about?
The Action button is a small switch that is positioned above the volume rocker iPhone devices, taking the place of the mute button. The so-called button is capable of performing a variety of actions. Previously, only muting or unmuting the device was possible using the alert slider. The new Action button unlocks more possibilities such as an instant camera launch, using accessibility features, shortcuts, and recording voice.
How to Use Action Button on iPhone 15 Pro Models?
You can customize the Action button to perform certain actions however you want. Depending on your preference, you can configure it to open the camera or turn on the torch and do more when you press and hold the button. Here are some options you can modify and open using the Action button.
- Accessibility: With this option, iPhone 15 Pro users can access various accessibility features, including VoiceOver, Zoom, and AssistiveTouch.
- Shortcuts: Users can use and run shortcuts created or installed in the Shortcuts app, such as sending a message, playing a playlist, or controlling smart devices, using this option.
- Magnifier: Use the Action button to launch the Magnifier to zoom in on the screen if you are struggling with small fonts or incorrect text.
- Translate: Customize the button for using the Translate app and start a conversation or text translation immediately.
- Silent Mode: Just like the mute switch on the current and regular iPhone 15 models, you can customize the silent mode to toggle on and off, muting or unmuting the phone’s ringer.
- Camera: The new Action button can be used to quickly open the Camera app and/or take a photo or video as they want using the same button.
- Voice Memos: Start or stop recording a voice memo with the Voice Memos app using the Action button.
- Flashlight: Like an Accessibility shortcut, the Action button can be customized to use it as an on/off switch for the back-facing flashlight.
- Focus: You can use the Action button to quickly turn on and off your most preferred Focus mode.
Other iPhone 15 Pro Models features to Note:
The latest iPhone 15 lineup will be shipped with iOS 17 pre-installed. Apple unveiled the latest operating system with groundbreaking features such as Standby Mode, Contact Posters, NameDrop, Offline Apple Maps, iMessage Check-in, and more. Besides them, below are some features to note in the iPhone Pro models.
- New camera system: The iPhone 15 Pro models have a new triple-lens rear camera system with a 48MP main sensor, a 12MP ultra-wide sensor, and a 12MP telephoto sensor with 5x optical zoom.
- New A17 Pro: The iPhone 15 Pro models are powered by the new A17 Pro chip, which is said to be up to 20% faster than the A16 Bionic chip in the iPhone 14 models.
- Next-generation Portraits: This new feature on iPhone 15 Pro enables users to take portrait photos without switching to portrait mode. As a result, users can take photos of animals or people in any mode, and the iPhone will automatically apply portrait effects afterward, such as blurry backgrounds and bokeh.
iPhone 15 Pro and 15 Pro Max feature a new Action button as the biggest upgrade, replacing the traditional mute switch ring on regular iPhone models. The Action button can be customized so that it can be used as a volume rocker, to perform Shortcuts, activate Focus, open Accessibility features, and more. Besides, iPhone Pro features an Always-on display, and a new 48-mega pixel camera system with 5x optical zoom added as extras.
No, the regular iPhone 15 and iPhone 15 Plus models do not have an Action button at this time. It’s only equipped on iPhone 15 Pro and Pro Max models. But we may get to see it on regular iPhone models next year.
The punch hole display on iPhone 15 has only been rumored. Dynamic Island has retained its place on iPhone 15 models after last year’s success on pro models. The new iPhone 15 and 15 Plus models also now feature Dynamic Island along with the pro models.
The Action button is indeed a revolutionary update to the iPhone 15 pro models. It is powerful and useful because it can be customized to perform almost any task and shortcut. iPhone 15 Pro models will definitely have an advantage over iPhone 15 models since users will be able to perform tasks without opening them on their iPhone using the Action button.