Do you feel that your mouse cursor moves slow or you feel that it moves a way fast? No need to worry about this as it is a setting in your computer that you have to tweak and then you can operate the mouse comfortably. This setting is known as the mouse sensitivity.
Young and techy users must be already aware of this but the users who are not that techy must read the complete post today and know the steps on how to change mouse sensitivity. We will be showing you a couple of methods and you can go for any one of them as per your choice.
So, let us read ahead knowing about the sensitivity of the mouse in brief.
What is mouse sensitivity?
Mouse sensitivity refers to how much your mouse responds when you move it. When you move your mouse, does it quickly move from one point to another or it moves slowly. If it moves fast then the sensitivity of the mouse will be set to fast in the settings and if it is slow then it is because it is set to slow in the settings.
Fast sensitivity means your cursor will cover long distances when you move your mouse even slightly. It will cover a long distance from one point to another point.
In slow sensitivity, your cursor won’t move that fast when you move your mouse. It helps to gamers who want to have great precision while they play the games. In the games that require high aiming, gamers set their mouse to slow sensitivity or turn off their mouse acceleration as it helps them to achieve great accuracy.
Method 1: From the System settings
Follow the below steps to change the sensitivity of the mouse from the system settings itself. This is the most popular method and most of the users follow this method only. Users can change other mouse settings like display pointer trails, double-click speed, switch primary and secondary buttons, pointer arrow designs, scrolling speed, and others from the system settings itself.
- Open Windows search box and type control panel. Click on it in the search results and it will open up.
- Click on Mouse here. This will open up the Mouse Properties window.
- Now, click on the Pointer Options tab.
- Under Motion, you have to manage the mouse sensitivity. You can adjust the bar between Slow and Fast as per your requirements. Setting it towards left will make your cursor move slow and moving it to the right will make it fast.
- There will be a checkbox named “Enhance pointer precision” below it. It is for Mouse acceleration. You can uncheck it if you want to turn off the mouse acceleration.
- Now, move your mouse and check whether the sensitivity you adjusted works for you or not. Adjust it until you are uncomfortable using your mouse and then click Apply and OK to save the changes.
- Click the Apple logo in the top-left corner of the screen and this will open up the Apple menu.
- Now, click on System Preferences.
- Now, click on Mouse if you are using the desktop and click on Trackpad if you are using the laptop.
- Now, adjust the Tracking speed. Move it left if you want it slow and move it to the right if you want it fast.
- Test it out and adjust accordingly.
- Click the Exit button in the top-left corner of your window. Your changes will be saved.
- Open the menu by clicking the button on the bottom right of the screen.
- The menu will open up and you have to type Settings here. Click the first option and it will open the settings window.
- Find Mouse and Touchpad settings here. They will be under the Devices section.
- Control the sensitivity here and then exit the settings window. It will save your changes.
Now, let’s have a look at the steps to change the sensitivity of the mouse via the mouse DPI button.
Method 2: Change sensitivity via Mouse DPI button
Some of the mouse have a DPI button on it. Not all mouse has such a button but most gaming mouse have one. You can control the sensitivity by clicking his button. While you are playing a game and want to control the movement of your mouse as per your requirements then it is easy to control it from here. Going to the settings and then tweaking the controls will be time taking for the gamers so this button is really helpful to them.
But the disadvantage of this method is that it only changes the settings temporarily and not permanently. Until you have your pc on, you can move your mouse with the settings that you placed via this button but the moment you shut the pc down then the original settings will be replaced.
Also, if you disconnect the mouse or take its battery then the pc settings for the mouse will get the control.
Method 3: Changing the mouse sensitivity via Registry Editor
This is the method which is a little bit technical so it must be followed by the technical users only. If you have confidence in your skills and can manage to perform the steps correctly then you can go with this otherwise the above methods are perfectly fine and easy to follow.
Follow the below steps:
1) Open the run box and type “Regedit”. Press enter to open the registry editor.
2) Click on File–> Export here. Now, select a location for the registry backup. With this step, we are ensuring that if anything goes wrong then we can switch back to the previous state.
If anything goes wrong then no need to worry, you just need to go to File—> Import and then select the file location that you selected for backup.
3) Now, from the left pane, you have to navigate to the following path:
Computer→ HKEY_Current_User→ Control Panel→ Mouse
4) In the right pane, you will see different controls. Double-click on Mouse speed and set its value to the desired value. By default, it will be set to 1. You can set it to 2 as of now and click Ok to save the changes.
5) Now, double-click on Mouse Threshold 1 and set its value to 0 and click Ok to save the changes. Similarly, double-click Mouse Threshold 2 and set its value to 0 and hit Ok.
6) These steps have set the sensitivity to maximum. Close the registry editor window and restart your system to make the amendment.
So, here was an overview of how to change mouse sensitivity. Follow any of the above methods and change the sensitivity in an easy, simple, and quick way. You will then be able to move your mouse quickly or slowly as per the settings that you have set and it will be a lot more comfortable to operate your computer. For more information, visit Technographx.