Ruby programming language is purely Object-Oriented. It was developed by Yukihiro Matsumoto in the mid-1990s in Japan.
The main aim behind Ruby’s development was to make it act as a sensible buffer between human programmers and the underlying computing machinery. Its syntax is similar to many programming languages like C and Java so the C and Java programmers are able to easily learn this language. This language supports all the platforms such as Windows, Mac, Linux.
It is based on many other languages like Perl, Lisp, Smalltalk, Eiffel, and Ada. Ruby is an interpreted scripting language. It means most of its implementations execute instructions directly and freely, without previously compiling a program into machine-language instructions. The programmers working on Ruby also have access to the powerful RubyGems. The RubyGems provides a standard format for Ruby programs and libraries.
Advantages Of Ruby:
- The code written in Ruby has a fewer number of lines of code.
- This language allows simple and fast creation of Web application which results in much fewer efforts.
- It is an open source programming language which allows the programmers to modify the code as needed.
- Ruby is a dynamic programming language. It is also very close to spoken languages.
Disadvantages Of Ruby:
- It is fairly new and has its own unique coding language which makes it difficult for the programmers to learn it. After much practice, it gets easy.
- The code written in Ruby is harder to debug as most of the time it generates the errors at runtime.
- When compared to other languages, Ruby has very less informational resources to learn the language.
- It is slower than other languages as it is an interpreted scripting language and the scripting languages are slower than the compiled languages.
- It is used to create web applications of different sorts. Ruby is one of the hot technologies at present to create web applications without any doubt.
- It offers a great feature called Ruby on Rails (RoR). RoR is a web framework that is used by programmers for speeding up the development process and for saving time.
So, here was a brief overview of the Ruby programming language. Hope you got a brief idea about this programming language!