The days of complete reliability on manual testing are long gone. The complexities of applications have reached such a stage that it has become impossible for a human developer to verify the proper functioning of all the components present in the application.
The debate between manual and automation testing has been going on for a long time. Many people are still ignorant about the benefits of implementing automated test cases. The Mocha test automation framework is one such way in which the developers can massively improve the test cases.
This article will discuss everything you need to understand about the mocha test automation framework. We will also have an elaborate description of all the components present in this framework and their uses. Finally, we will discuss some of the major tools and platforms.
This guide can help the developers to improve the efficiency of the Mocha test automation framework.
We will begin our discussion with the basics of test automation.
The Meaning of Test Automation
In Simple terms, we can define test automation as the automatic handling of multiple industrial processes. While performing automation testing, human involvement is little to none.
- While we try to define Automation Testing pertaining to the IT standards, we can say that it is the process of verifying the performance of the application by using different automation tools.
- This testing also gives detailed ideas about how the application will react to different types of human engagement.
- The developers must remember that automation testing tools can be both open-source and licensed to a particular company.
- The quality of the application plays a vital role in the process of user retention. This is because, after the deployment of the application, different users will use it for different purposes.
A recent market study shows that while using complete manual testing, the developers used to take almost five days to complete all the test cases. On the other hand, automated testing has helped bring this time down to almost under two days.
Balance Between Manual Testing and Automation Testing
The developers must remember that the key to creating a perfect test case is maintaining the perfect balance between manual and automated testing. This means that you must have the proper idea about all the areas that require automation and those that require manual testing.
- For instance, visual testing is a form of testing that is almost impossible to conduct without the engagement of a human eye. In this test, the developers have to verify the proper placement of all the visual elements, like text boxes on the application.
- On the other hand, unit testing involves verifying the proper functioning of all the small components in an application. These test cases are often repetitive and end up exhausting the human mind. So, the best way to conduct this test is through the implementation of test automation.
- Regression testing and data analysis testing are other forms of tests that can greatly benefit from test automation.
The automated test cases are also reusable. This means the developers can retain a huge portion of these test cases and use them in future development projects. This process also helps to save a lot of resources in terms of time and money.
Moreover, since Automation Testing is completely run on the computer, the companies can effectively implement them 24 hours round the clock.
What is Mocha
- Using this Framework, developers can make synchronized testing a fun and simple task.
- All the Mocha tests run in a serial pattern, making them accurate and flexible for reporting.
- It also allows the developers to map the unnoticed errors to the correct test instances.
- This Automation Testing Framework is currently present on GitHub. Due to its immense popularity and support for multiple unique features, it has gained several supporters, including multiple application development companies all around the world.
- The developers can also integrate the Mocha Automation Testing Framework into their test bench to properly track all the test cases.
Features of the Mocha Test Automation Framework
Mocha provides multiple features that play a vital role in its popularity in the application development community. Let us take a quick look at some of the major features offered by this test automation framework:
- Extensive browser support: Developers can use Mocha to perform tests on almost all the browsers that are currently available in the market.
- Simple async support that includes promises: Allows the developers to implement all the changes in the application as soon as they are made in the codebase.
- Parallel testing: The Mocha test automation framework helps developers run node.js tests in a parallel mode. Parallel testing is a unique feature that helps to improve the time efficiency of automation test cases. Using this feature, the developers can perform multiple test instances side by side.
- Test coverage reporting: The test coverage reporting helps the developers to get a clear idea about the outcome of all the test cases that have been implemented on the application.
- Easy testing: To improve the ease of testing, it comes with a feature to auto-detect and auto-disable Colors for non-TTYs.
- Test retry support: acts like a boon while testing complete applications that consist of multiple test cases. Using this feature, the developers can retry a test before deploying the debugging process.
- Final test reporting: The final test report provided by Mocha is very comprehensive. This means it provides even minute details. The developers can use this to gather vital information regarding the functioning of the application. For instance, it provides information related to the test duration, slow tests, and even the test-specific timeout.
- Flexible assertion library usage: The developers can use Mocha to improve the effectiveness of the test cases. This is because it allows development companies to use any assertion library according to their requirements.
Installation of Mocha
- The first step for the installation of Mocha is to install the npm globally. The developers can also install it as a development dependency according to the project. One thing that the developers must remember is that the latest version of Mocha requires node.js v14.0.0 or newer to function properly.
- After the successful installation, the developers have to use the command ‘npm install mocha’ to integrate Mocha into the project.
- After this, the developers have to set up a test in the package.json.
- The final step is to execute the tests with the help of the command ‘npm test.
Dynamic Generation of Tests with Mocha
The developers can use Mocha’s use of function expressions to define multiple test cases and Suites. It is the straightforward process of generating the test in a dynamic pattern.
These parameterized test cases are present in almost every other test automation framework available in the market. One thing that developers must remember is that the tests inside a ‘forEach’ handler do not react well with the editor plugin, especially while using the right-click run features.
The easiest way to solve this problem is to use the alternative process of generating parameterized tests using a closure.
Role of Tools and Platforms in Improving the Efficiency of Mocha
Mocha is one of the test automation tools that have been rapidly growing in the modern application Development Industry. So, it is common that multiple development companies have already created tools that claim to improve the efficiency of Mocha test cases.
However, as a developer, you must remember that the result will massively depend on how to utilize these tools and platforms. Therefore, you must choose the correct tool according to the use cases and requirements of the development project.
For instance, some of the important factors that you must consider during this stage are the amount that you can spend on the subscription, the required delivery time, and support for multiple programming languages. We can use the example of LambdaTest to further improve our understanding related to the role of tools and platforms:
To improve the understanding of new automation testers, LambdaTest is a cloud platform that the developers use to ensure that the web application is cross-browser compatible.
Cross-browser compatibility is the process that ensures that web browser and operating system variations do not negatively affect the functioning of the application.
The real device testing online by LambdaTest ensures that the test results are dependable for further referencing and debugging processes. This process also eliminates the hassle and expenses of maintaining a physical in-house device testing lab.
Developers can also incorporate parallel testing and perform geolocation testing with the help of the Mocha test automation framework.
So, we can easily conclude that test automation will eventually dominate the future application Development Industry. Therefore, it is one of the vital steps for companies. It will begin the integration of this process into its Framework as soon as possible. It is also critical for the company to maintain its position in this highly competitive industry. Mocha is one of those quick Risers that have given dominant companies good competition in this segment.
Mocha test automation framework should also be critical for the developers to improve their portfolios. This test automation framework is perfectly suitable for developers who are willing to take the first step in the world of test automation. It aims to eliminate all the complexities that are originally associated with this Complex form of testing. So, we can conclude that the Mocha test automation framework brings together the best of both worlds.