Bone conduction headphones are a unique style of headset that transmit sound through vibrations to your cheekbone instead of over the eardrums. This open-ear design keeps your ears free to hear ambient noises, making bone conduction models ideal for situational awareness during workouts, running, cycling, and other activities. In this guide, we’ll review the top 10 bone conduction headphones on the market and break down the pros and cons of each to help you find the best pair for your needs.
- 1. TOZO OpenReal – Sport Earbuds with Premium Sound
- 2. ECOAMICA HS3 – Workout Headphones with Microphones
- 3. Shokz OpenRun – Wireless Earphones for Workouts
- 4. GameXtrem T37 – Sweat Resistant Headset
- 5. Shokz OpenRun Pro – With Premium Deep Base for For Workouts
- 6. Shokz OpenComm UC – Headphones with Noise-Canceling
- 7. AfterShokz Aeropex – Bone Conduction Sport Headphones
- 8. Essonio IP68 – Waterproof Headphones for Swimming
- 9. IKXO Style 1 – Waterproof Bluetooth for Swimming
- 10. Gogailen X7 Pro – Underwater Headphones for Swimming
- Benefits of using bone-conduction headphones:
1. TOZO OpenReal – Sport Earbuds with Premium Sound
Tozo takes an innovative approach to bone conduction with the OpenReal headphones, designed for all-day open-ear listening without ear fatigue. Rather than normal bone conducting headphones, these headphones use air conduction technology to transmit stereo sound through the air to your eardrum, reducing sound leakage while still allowing you to hear ambient noises.
While Tozo doesn’t have the brand recognition of AfterShokz or Shokz, the OpenReal headphones deliver quality bone conduction in a comfortable package built for extended wear. The unique air conduction tech allows you to experience focused stereo sound while staying aware of your surroundings.
- Comfortable open ear design
- Air conduction technology
- Good battery life
- Lesser known brand
2. ECOAMICA HS3 – Workout Headphones with Microphones
Offering a compelling blend of performance, comfort, and value, the Ecoamica HS3 are our budget pick for affordable bone conduction headphones. These headphones feature an open-ear design that allows you to listen to music and take calls while still hearing ambient noises around you, making them ideal for situational awareness during activities like running or cycling.
With an IP55 rating, the HS3 headphones are sweat, dust, and rain resistant. The large battery provides up to 20 hours of continuous use on a single charge – very impressive for the price. If you want budget-friendly bone conduction headphones without sacrificing key features like sound, comfort, and battery life, the Ecoamica HS3 are an excellent value pick.
- Inexpensive price point
- 20 hour battery life
- Clear audio with noise reduction
- For Running, Hiking, Cycling
- Less premium build quality
3. Shokz OpenRun – Wireless Earphones for Workouts
Featuring a lightweight design perfect for active lifestyles, the SHOKZ OpenRun bone conduction headphones allow you to train for hours with immersive audio. With an IP67 rating, the OpenRun headphones are fully dust-proof and waterproof for up to 30 minutes in up to 1 meter of water. This sweat and weather resistance makes them ideal for running and workouts in any conditions. A quick 10-minute charge delivers 1.5 hours of playtime for top-offs between activities.
On-board control buttons allow easy adjustment of volume, music playback, and calls. Advanced digital signal processing delivers full-range sound with enhanced bass for an immersive audio experience while the dual noise-canceling mics ensure your calls come through crystal clear. For athletes and fitness enthusiasts who want high-performance bone conduction headphones, the SHOKZ OpenRun delivers.
- Affordable Shokz option
- Lightweight open ear design
- Available in 4 Color
- For Running, Hiking, Cycling
- Fewer features than premium Shokz
4. GameXtrem T37 – Sweat Resistant Headset
The GameXtrem T37 offers an affordable, lightweight bone conduction headset that delivers great sound with the freedom of an open-ear design. At just 30 grams, these headphones feature a slim, wraparound frame made from flexible titanium alloy that’s shaped to sit securely behind your head. Silicone pads gently transfer stereo audio directly through your cheekbones using bone conduction technology.
With an IP6 water-resistant nano-coating, the T37 headphones can withstand rainy workouts and intense sweating at the gym. If you want carefree bone conduction audio for an active lifestyle without breaking the bank, the GameXtrem T37 headphones check all the boxes.
- Secure sports fit
- IP6 water resistance
- Durable titanium alloy frame
- For Running, Cycling, Hiking
- Lower volume than comparable models
- Not suitable for swimming
5. Shokz OpenRun Pro – With Premium Deep Base for For Workouts
Engineered to satisfy serious audiophiles, the Shokz OpenRun Pro headphones represent the pinnacle of bone conduction audio quality. Shokz utilizes their exclusive TurboPitch technology to tune and optimize these headphones for unparalleled sound across an expanded frequency range. Deep, resonant bass combines with crisp, detailed treble to create a dynamic listening experience that outperforms most standard bone conduction models.
Up to 10 hours of battery life supports prolonged listening, while the quick charge feature gives you 1.5 extra hours after just 5 minutes of charging. Convenient onboard controls make it easy to manage your audio. For runners, cyclists, and fitness enthusiasts seeking the ultimate combination of comfort, stability, safety, and sound quality, the Shokz OpenRun Pro represents the new gold standard in premium bone conduction.
- Premium sound quality
- 10 hour battery life
- Secure Fit and lightweight
- Comfortable wraparound fit
- Available in 4 Color
- More expensive
6. Shokz OpenComm UC – Headphones with Noise-Canceling
Specifically designed for computer use, the SHOKZ OpenComm UC stereo headphones combine bone conduction technology with productivity-boosting features. The open-ear design lets you hear ambient noise for awareness during calls and video meetings. A noise-canceling boom mic clearly transmits your voice even in loud environments.
With Bluetooth 5.1, you can connect these headphones to your computer for up to 33 feet of range. The onboard controls allow you to easily manage volume, mute the mic, and more. At just 1.3 ounces, the lightweight headset stays comfortable for extended wear. If you’re looking for a headset that provides immersive audio, a superior mic, and situational awareness for your home office or coworking setup, the SHOKZ OpenComm UC delivers.
- Designed specifically for computer use
- Noise canceling microphone
- Providing security features
- Clear Sound and Powerful volume
- Less sport focused
- An expensive option
7. AfterShokz Aeropex – Bone Conduction Sport Headphones
Optimized for all-day wear, the AfterShokz Aeropex are lightweight yet rugged bone conduction headphones that deliver powerful stereo sound without compromising situational awareness. Weighing just 26 grams, their flexible titanium band is shaped to wrap gently around the back of your head, with soft silicone pads that transfer audio as vibrations through your cheekbones.
With an IP67 rating, the Aeropex headphones exceed dustproof, sweatproof, and waterproof standards so you can wear them anywhere your active lifestyle takes you. They can even be submerged in up to one meter of water for 30 minutes and keep on performing. For the combination of audio quality, situational awareness, comfort, and versatility, the AfterShokz Aeropex are our top recommendation among bone conduction headphones.
- Lightweight, comfortable fit
- Good situational awareness
- IP67 waterproof
- It is more expensive
- Not suitable for swimming
8. Essonio IP68 – Waterproof Headphones for Swimming
For swimming and watersports, the Essonio IP68 headphones are fully waterproof with an IP68 rating. The open ear design allows you to hear surroundings when submerged. With Bluetooth connectivity above water and MP3 playback underwater, these headphones are versatile for any aquatic activity.
The IP68 rating means the Essonio headphones can be submerged in up to 1.5 meters of water for 30 minutes. onboard controls make it easy to switch between Bluetooth and MP3 modes depending on if you’re above or below water. The open ear bone conduction design delivers quality sound while keeping your ears comfortable.
- Fully waterproof IP68 rating
- Good sound quality
- Anti-leakage sound
- Best for water sports
- Return or refund for free within 1 month
- Difficulty controlling the headphones underwater
9. IKXO Style 1 – Waterproof Bluetooth for Swimming
For swimming, water sports, or hanging out poolside, the IKXO Style 1 bone conduction headphones are designed to deliver your favorite audio no matter where your activities take you. With an IPX8 rating, these headphones are not only waterproof but fully submersible, allowing you to dive and swim down to 2 meters while listening to music. The open-ear design lets in ambient noise so you can maintain awareness.
In addition to Bluetooth connectivity that pairs with your phone on land, the IKXO Style 1 headphones have a built-in MP3 player with 8GB of storage. Load your device with songs and playlists before your next water adventure. For swimmers, surfers, or anyone who wants waterproof bone conduction audio both in and out of the pool, the IKXO Style 1 headphones deliver outstanding wireless freedom and convenience.
- Bluetooth & MP3 modes
- Open ear design
- Built-in 8GB storage
- Water Protection
- Fast and reliable Bluetooth Connectivity
- Underwater Bluetooth is not compatible
10. Gogailen X7 Pro – Underwater Headphones for Swimming
Serious athletes looking for extra long battery life and massive storage will appreciate the impressive features of the Gogailen X7 Pro bone conduction headphones. These innovative headphones allow you to enjoy immersive audio for up to 10 hours on a single charge in Bluetooth mode or play from the built-in 32GB MP3 player when phones aren’t allowed. The IPX8 waterproof rating means you can swim laps or wash off in the shower without any issues.
With marathon-ready battery life, generous onboard storage, and a fully waterproof design ideal for swimmers, the Gogailen X7 Pro stands out as a top choice for athletes in need of high-performance bone conduction headphones. Just charge up, load your audio library, and enjoy immersive tunes anywhere your training takes you.
- Built-in memory of 32GB
- Battery life of 10 hours
- Great for hiking, cycling, running
- No major cons were found.
Benefits of using bone-conduction headphones:
- Open-ear design: When listening to music, bone-conduction headphones do not block out ambient noise so that you can stay aware of your surroundings. Running, cycling, and driving can all be done with it.
- Comfortable fit: Bone conduction headphones rest on your cheekbones, making them comfortable to wear all day.
- Hearing health benefits: When you listen to music through bone-conduction headphones, your eardrums are not pressured, which may improve your hearing health.
- Sweat and water resistance: Most bone conduction headphones are sweat and water-resistant, so they are ideal for workouts, running, and cycling.
With innovative open-ear designs that allow situational awareness, bone conduction headphones provide a unique audio experience tailored for active lifestyles. Models from brands like AfterShokz, Shokz, and Ecoamica deliver powerful sound through cheek vibrations while keeping your ears free. Choose noise-canceling mics for clear calls, marathon battery life for all-day wear, and waterproofing for swimming and workouts. With options spanning budget picks to premium audiophile-grade headphones, you can find the perfect bone conduction headset to fit your needs, preferences and budget.
In case you missed it!